Age ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, March 19, 2009

A new season...

Just like the earth goes through it's seasons; fall, winter, spring, summer, I think that our lives can go through seasons as well. Circumstances happen, people come and go and God changes your outlook on life and the things in it. Over the past few months, I can say that God has been bringing me into a new season of my life. He is teaching me things, bringing things to light (good and bad) and giving me a desire to know Him more.

This past Sunday I stood before my church family to let them know that I am "re-committing" my life to the Lord and that I am ready to enter this new season He has planned for me. Now, I first committed my life to Him at a younger age and have had my ups and downs like most Christians, but over the past few years I just feel like I have not lived the life that He has wanted for me. Sure, I know He has always been there for me and has loved me through it all, but I want to be the person (wife, friend, daughter, sister, co-worker) that He created me to be and desires for me to be. And that is what this "re-committement" is for me. I am saying to the Lord, "I know you have saved me, but I know that I have turned my back on you so many times and I want to know you more and I want you to know me more." No more games, no more fakeness (is that word? :) )

I found a great illustration on the North American Mission Board website that really explains how our relationship with God is a process and I thought it was really good. This is what they said...

"The thing to keep in mind is that salvation is both event and process. We are saved at a particular point in time, when we realize our need, confess our sin, and turn to Christ. But we are being saved through the process of sanctification. This involves a constant recommitment and renewal of the relationship with Christ on a daily basis.

It is rather like a marriage: a couple are thoroughly married at the point when they say, "I do!" and the minister pronounces them husband and wife and signs the marriage license. But they really have no concept at that point of all that being married means. The newlyweds and the couple celebrating their fiftieth anniversary are equally married in a legal sense, but in a relational sense, what a difference!"

To me this is saying that our relationship with Christ is a process - something that is started at the point of salvation and grows into a relationship as time passes. However, just like any other relationship, it will only grow and deepen if we seek Him, talk to Him and spend time with Him. (Trust me, I am preaching to myself right now.) I know my decision is not an instant change or just a warm, fuzzy feeling, but it is a process and a daily decision to live for Him each day and my desire is to commit to that.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Cor 5:17

My old seasons are gone and my new one has come! Thank you Lord!

[For anyone who may be reading this and has no clue what I am talking about and would like to know more about making a Committment to Jesus, please contact me -- mrs_soto@hotmail.com]

10 comments:

Amber said...

Kim...this is awesome. i wasnt there at the end of the service because i had to jet back to camp...so i am so glad you wrote about it. Amen friend. Amen.

Kara Clayton said...

I could not be more excited for you!!! This may sound silly, but I kind of feel like I'm in the process with three things...my relationship with Christ, my marraige to Chris, and becoming the Mother God wants me to be to our 4 precious boys! I know He made me a mommy the day those sweet boys were conceived/born, but I believe that true Motherhood is also a lifelong process. All 3 are hard but so rewarding when we follow Christ and confess to Him when we mess up (which is a lot for me somtimes!). I love you! :-)

Wanda said...

I am so excited for you and recommitment to the Lord. Isn't it amazing how God continues to call us unto Himself? When we finally hear and answer the call, He shows us a relationship beyond compare. I am so thankful for His faithfulness, mercy and lovingkindness that He daily bestows on me! Love ya!

Murrell Family said...

Thanks for sharing...that is a good word and I'm so excited about what God is doing in your life!

Julie and Alberto Robles said...

Yay, Kim! I'm cheering you on over here in I-Town. It's a process, friend. A road. A journey. A path. We're walkin' it, friend, and I'm glad to have found you walking along the way too. This year feels like a prime time, a time that everything has clicked into place, when I am wanting to know more, and study the word every day. I am so glad that God blessed you with that too in your life. Here's to waking!

Keith, Tiffany, Owen and Delia said...

congratulations! that's awesome!

Anonymous said...

So proud of you Kim! I am so glad you blogged about this so we can be encouragement to you! You are such an amazing person!

Shara said...

Thanks so much for sharing this, friend! Seems like I daily need to be reminded of what this life really is all about. I'm so excited for this new season in your life! Love you!!

Janelle and Ella said...

Kim, I got goosebumps and teary eyed all over again remembering that morning. Thank you for doing this and challenging is all! It was a great reminder to me that this is a process. You have ministered to me these past 2 weeks.

The Self Cottage said...

i love you my friend. i know i have heard this already but you wrote it so beautifully and only now am i just reading it ( bc of my rebellion of technology lately). anyway, i am deeply touched by our prayer times and would love to continue to meet up! your testimony spurs my faith and i am so thankful that the Lord has knit our hearts together. you are a royal diadem in the hand of our Lord Isaiah 62:3 i am so proud of you and so thankful! lovelove